Debugging using Visual Studio 2003
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2002 :  14:10:22  Show Profile  Email Poster

The information in this topic has been collected and expanded in the new version of the
Windows CE Developer's Guide.

This topic itself is kept only for historical purposes.

"Out of the box" Visual Studio 2003 cannot connect the debugger to a CE 4.1 device. To get it going follow these steps:

1. Download and install the Studio 2003 Add-on pack
  2. Start IDE. You should see "Select Windows CE Device CPU" on your Tools menu.
  3. Have your WinCE device connected through ActiveSync. I suggest you hard-reset the device, if possible, to make sure there is no leftover files.
  4. Run the "Select Windows CE Device CPU" tool from the IDE. From its UI, select your device processor (ARMV4 for StrongARM devices, ARM4T for XScale devices).
  5. Restart the IDE.

Note: Not all of the early CE.NET images have the required device files included. Some may require that you manually place toolhelp.dll in the Windows directory.

modified June 2, 03 (ctacke) : Added XScale info, modified link to MS add-on pack

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  14:58:37  Show Profile  Email Poster
I've updated the above post after successfully testing debugging on an XScale device (BitsyX rev 2, CE build 4.10.17).
Go to Top of Page

HBPayne

45 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  12:10:05  Show Profile  Email Poster
Should that be ARMV4I and not ARMV4T for XScale as it is for the BitsyX SDK?
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  12:25:23  Show Profile  Email Poster
Nope. I double-checked on my PC and even with Microsoft. They say to use ARM4T for both 4T and 4I systems.
Go to Top of Page

dorgant

46 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  18:14:23  Show Profile  Email Poster
ok, I have done this before but we sent our board back for a new display and now I need to start over. I set up ActiveSync. I have the debug port working. I changed the flash storage size. I installed the ce.net toolkit, I configured the device using the tools->Select Windows CE Device CPU. ActiveSync is working. Im using a project I used before in the CE.net.

And then I discover that my board appears to be running Windows CE 3.0 (again).
the debug output shows:
Microsoft Windows CE Ver. 3.0 (build 126)

So, with my new display driver for a 10.4" screen (and driver), how do I update to ce.net?
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  18:52:24  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi Tom. When you send your systems back here, we configure them the way we originally shipped them to you. But it shouldn't be too tough to update to CE.NET.

It sounds like you've loaded your system with a new CE image before, but if you haven't, take a look at the CE Getting Started Guide for instructions (topic 609). You can get links to the CE builds on the GMaster CE page at topic 281. If you don't already have them, you can extract the REG and HWT files for your system (and the new display we configured for you) with the ADSLoadExtract.exe app.

I hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

tempo

26 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  15:02:04  Show Profile  Email Poster
I've done everything above but I cannot connect with anything except serial. Although active sync shows my bitsy as connected vs2003 shows:
eploying to Windows CE .NET Device using TCP Connect Transport

With serial the compact framework fails to download.

Error: Cannot establish a connection. Be sure the device is physically connected to the development computer.
---------------------- Done ----------------------
Go to Top of Page

tempo

26 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  15:04:52  Show Profile  Email Poster
When i try and use the smart device authentication it says: "No connection could be made becuase the target machine actively refused it at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP) at SDAuthUtil.Form1.DoConnect()
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  16:17:22  Show Profile  Email Poster
First make sure that your device has enough storage space memory allocated to hold the CF and your app.

Second check your device settings under Tools | Options | Device Tools | Devices

The following settings work fine for me over USB, ethernet and serial:

[see CE Getting Started, C# Edition for settings -ak 23may06]

From the primary dialog dialog click "Connect" to see if it will make a device connection.
Go to Top of Page

tempo

26 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  16:23:56  Show Profile  Email Poster
That's what i have, but it will only connect if using serial

Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  16:54:34  Show Profile  Email Poster
For updated information on connecting with Studio 2003, see the new version of the Windows CE Developer's Guide
Go to Top of Page

dorgant

46 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  00:02:06  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hello,

First, I have developed on the ARM GM board without problems using C# in the MS IDE and ActiveSync. In fact, I have a working system sitting right next to my AGX on my workbench. I have followed the directions in the C# users guide.

I have followed the instructions in 110010-10071-3_CE_Developers_Guide.pdf, etc. I have a working ActiveSync connection.

I have 2 issues:
1) I keep having to run the device authorization to get the connection started. Further, there have been several occasions when it just would not work until I gave up and went away. I can't afford to keep setting up this connection time and time again every day.

2) Although I can (sometimes) connect to the device from the IDE and download an image, debugging does not work. It does some downloading, says launching application and then says 'Ready'. And drops back into design mode. I can run the downloaded image on the device, but I need to be able to debug. I have checked my memory configuration and it is the same as on my Sharp GM board.

thanks,
Tom Dorgan.
Go to Top of Page

Umberto

6 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  21:12:24  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am having the same problems , running ActiveSync 4.0 with VS2003
on a BitsyX board.

ActiveSync is working fine, I can browse and copy files with explorer,
Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 is working fine, I can compile and run remotely on the device.

but VS2003 is NOT working. giving me "Error: Cannot establish a connection. Be sure the device is physically connected to the development computer."

There is also something weird with the ActiveSync connection on the BitsyX board.
I often have to unplug the USB, replug, close the program and restart REPLLOG.EXE in \windows folder.

Has anyone got any ideas ? It must be something to do with VS2003 but I can't fix it.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000