Serial Mouse Driver
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  16:24:39  Show Profile  Email Poster
Q: I have a Graphics Client Plus and I need a non-touchscreen pointing device. Since it doesn't support a PS/2 or USB mouse, can I use a serial mouse?

Yes. Our development systems do not ship with a serial driver installed, but you can download the driver and install it manually. Place sermouse.dll in your \Windows directory and insert the following registry keys on the device:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\SerMouse]
    "Index"=dword:1
    "Dll"="SerMouse.dll"
    "Prefix"="MSE"
    "Order"=dword:B
    "EnableMouse"=dword:1
    "FriendlyName"="Serial Mouse"
    "Port"=dword:1

Keep in mind that the device will have to be restarted after you do this or use ADSDriverLaunch.exe to activate the driver on the fly.

t0671dl

27 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  16:33:54  Show Profile  Email Poster
Is there a version of the sermouse.dll for the BitsyX running CE.Net 4.10.21?
Go to Top of Page

t0671dl

27 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  09:51:32  Show Profile  Email Poster
I am working the a BitsyX Ce.Net 4.10.21.
I have a Serial Mouse with a TTL interface.
I would like to se the TTL Com port 2 for a TTL serial mouse
The mouse requires :
ReceiveData ( TTL Mouse to ADS ),
RTS ( TTL Mouse to ADS),
Ground,
and 3.3V supply ( jumpered from ADS board J19 Pin 3 ).

Com Port 2 has RXD2, TXD2 and GRND. Is there any way I can use the an existing GPIO line to accept the RTS signal from the mouse. Perhaps one of the RTS lines ( GPIO lines used by COM port 3 RTS )?
What would I need to modify sermouse.dll?

Edited by - t0671dl on 03 Oct 2003 10:06:21
Go to Top of Page

ctacke

877 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  12:43:49  Show Profile  Email Poster
We don't currently have a version of sermouse.dll for the BitsyX.

Most newer ADS products do not have the ability to source enough power from the charge pumps to drive a serial mouse. This can be overcome by directly jumpering 3.3V to the RTS line of the mouse, but then the mouse is always-on and the driver always fails in its initialization routine (in which it tries to turn the mouse off and on for detection). Working around this will require modifications to the driver source at a minimum.

Is there a specific reason you cannot use a USB pointer device? If a serial mouse is a requirement, contact our Sales staff so we can work with you on meeting your specific requirements.
Go to Top of Page

t0671dl

27 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  15:58:14  Show Profile  Email Poster
I would like to use one of the XScale serial ports for the mouse because in our application the mouse is not used except to select menu items and establish a running mode. Otherwise it remains idle. Instead of polling the USB client ( mouse ) we would prefer to have mouse activity interrupt driven. Leveraging off an existing driver ( sermouse.dll ) seems like a good idea. Even if we cannot use the TTL level Con 2 interface it would be nice to make use of COM 3.

When do you think you might have sermouse.ddl for the XScale?
What would I need to modify sermouse.dll?

Edited by - t0671dl on 06 Oct 2003 15:59:48
Go to Top of Page

akidder

1519 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  17:30:21  Show Profile  Email Poster
Hi. Could you send us electrical specs for the mouse device, as requested at topic 1181? That will give us the information we need to determine the scope of work you are asking for.

p.s. It'll probably help reduce confusion if you make future posts on this issue under one forum topic!
Go to Top of Page

t0671dl

27 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  12:34:08  Show Profile  Email Poster
RS232C Serial Interface Connections from our MicroModule using a RS232C interface.

Listed are the connections for a standard 9-pin DB-9 serial connector. Five lines are needed for an RS232C serial connection.

CON1 Pin Signal Signal Description DB-9 Pin
1 GND Ground 5
2 RTS Request to send 7
3 DTR Data terminal ready 4
5 TXD Transmit data 3
6 RXD Receive data 2

MicroModule uses standard Microsoft-compatible serial-data format

Hardware Interfaces: USB, RS232C serial, PS/2 mouse port, or direct serial TTL levels
Output Data Formats: Microsoft, PS/2 two-button mouse, USB
System Compatibility: DOS, Windows, OS/2 via serial and PS/2.
USB MicroModule works with WinCE without issue.
Power Consumption: <6 mA at 5V DC and <3 mA at 3.3V DC <20mA for USB

Edited by - t0671dl on 07 Oct 2003 12:35:03
Go to Top of Page

t0671dl

27 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  17:49:08  Show Profile  Email Poster
I have implemented WinCe 4.1.36 on my BitsyX. The serial mouse interface using serial COM1 is working. Two issues present themselves:

A) Mouse action is very discontinuous ( jerky ) when the cursor is moved horizontally and not very useable when moving the mouse cursor vertically since we are using a 640H x 240V screen. Initially we thought that is might be our hardware so we tried several mice. They all behaved the same. Next I made a hardware change to the mouse micro-controller to slow down mouse position frames rates which resulted in no appreciable change. Next I speed up the mouse position frame rates, still no effect. This leads me to believe that the driver is at issue.

B) I noticed that the serial mouse activity does not wakeup the BitsyX when there is any mouse movement or when any of the mouse buttons are pressed.
Go to Top of Page

t0671dl

27 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  11:31:36  Show Profile  Email Poster
Are there any regsitry modifications that would alter the mouse's behavior from that mentioned in the prior post?
Go to Top of Page

t0671dl

27 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  14:53:44  Show Profile  Email Poster
Another interesting issue ( as it applies to WinCE ) is that the cursor sprite, not being a hardware supported graphical sprite, disappears when any running application writes to the same screen location that the sprite occupies. Only when an mouse interrupt occurs does the mouse cursor reappear. Applications that have high frame update rates ( I am doing full screen blts at 10 Hz ) never giver the chance for the cursor to repaint when the cursor button is touched or moved.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eurotech Support Forums © Eurotech Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000